The Perry Center is currently seeking applicants for its summer 2017 internship program
“My experience at the Perry Center was personally enriching both in terms of content of work and in connections in the defense and foreign policy worlds. Thanks to the engaging staff, I had the opportunity to work on high-level strategic projects for the Center, was able to meet a variety of foreign and domestic government officials and civilian leaders, and was able to visit different agencies around DC. Throughout my time at the Perry Center, I felt like a valued member of the team and truly learned a lot from the expert professors and staff. I will always be thankful for the opportunity and already feel like a part of the Perry Center family!”
– Michelle Mora, Johns Hopkins University, Fall 2017 Research Intern
“The Perry Center maintains a work environment that stimulates professional and personal growth for interns. It’s the perfect place to discuss ideas and enhance skills. The learning process is consistent and very pleasant”
– Monica Gonzalez Melo, Universidad del Rosario, Fall 2017 Research Intern
The Perry Center’s internship program is an opportunity for highly motivated undergraduate students, graduate students, and recent graduates to gain valuable experience working on defense and security issues affecting the Americas. Interns will work in a multicultural and multilingual environment, regularly interacting with civilian and military officials from the Americas and other regions of the world. Interns will also have the opportunity to sit in on various lectures, courses, and professional development sessions hosted by the Perry Center and the National Defense University.
The Perry Center offers two types of internships: research and communications/multimedia. Applicants may apply to both internships if interested. Please note, these internships are unpaid. A listing of current and recent interns can be found here.
The Perry Center is seeking research interns to support academic projects, publications, and courses related to security and defense in the Western Hemisphere. Research interns will work with Perry Center faculty members, supporting the Center’s mission to educate senior civilian and military officials, as well as inform U.S. policy and DoD activities in the region.
- Assist Perry Center faculty and professional staff with long- and short-term research projects related to security and defense in the Americas (click here for examples of past Perry Center research papers and reports)
- Compose reports, produce graphics, and organize data into tables and charts Attend and lend logistical support to Perry Center and National Defense University courses, lectures, and conferences.
- Support presentations and take notes for Perry Center faculty members on events around D.C.
- An ability to commit at least 20 hours/week to the internship (We understand that interns may have other commitments, such as academic coursework and paid employment. The Perry Center tries to be very flexible with scheduling issues. Please keep in mind, however, that we favor interns who can regularly commit at least 20 hours/week).
- An interest in International Affairs, Defense and Security Studies, and the Western Hemisphere.
- Detail oriented, highly organized, and able to work independently.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Spanish language skills required; other language skills also a plus
The Perry Center’s Alumni and Educational Outreach Office is seeking a communications/multimedia intern who is full of creative ideas and eager to contribute on a large scale. The intern will assist with tasks related to public relations, marketing, and outreach. Applicants must have excellent communication skills, demonstrate creativity, and understand the importance of attending to even the smallest details.
- Assist with the creation and curation of engaging content for the Center’s Alumni News Blog and social media (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Instagram)
- Assist with monitoring all forms of social media Assist with electronic and social media marketing efforts, including the design and creation of visual communications.
- Assist with developing, writing, and distributing press releases for the Center’s website.
- Assist with photography for Perry Center courses and events.
- Assist with building a press kit for the Perry Center
- Assist with proofing written materials for style, grammar, etc.
- Assist with the development and production of digital and print outreach materials and strategic messaging documents
- An ability to commit at least 20 hours/week to the internship (We understand that interns may have other commitments, such as academic coursework and paid employment. The Perry Center tries to be very flexible with scheduling issues. Please keep in mind, however, that we favor interns who can regularly commit at least 20 hours/week)
- A background in public relations, communications, marketing, or journalism
- A solid understanding of social media
- Detail oriented, highly organized, and able to work independently
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Spanish language skills desired, but not required
- Experience with graphic design tools (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite) preferred, but not required
Interns may receive academic credit for their work at the Perry Center. Interns must make arrangements with their academic institution and provide the Perry Center with the necessary paperwork.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, academic transcript, and a short writing sample (3-5 pages) to Liliana Besosa, Internship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate for which type of internship you wish to apply, as well as your work availability and research interests, if applicable.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, though the most successful applicants will have submitted their application materials by the following dates:
Summer internships (May/ June – August): April 15
Fall internships (August/September – December): July 15
Spring internships (January – May): November 15
If you have any questions or concerns, please email Liliana at the aforementioned e-mail address, or call at 202-685-4086.